Are you sure you want to delete your account?
You have indicated you do not agree to our terms of use, do you wish to delete your account?
Why not sign up?

You will also be registered for the agent to contact you via other means you provide, with information relevant to your property search.

There was an error creating your account, please try again. If the problem persists, please contact us and we will investigate.
Password does not match
How would you like to be contacted?

inside index.cshtml

Landlord's Guide to Insurance

What am I, As a Landlord responsible for?

As a landlord you would be responsible primarily for the buildings insurance and for insuring your own contents. You are not responsible for the insurance of your tenants property.

Will my Insurers continue to provide cover if I let my property?

Most insurers will continue to provide your buildings insurance without any problems. However your contents cover may be changed. Usually your insurer will not provide cover for accidental damage or your excess will be increased as well as your premium. Also you will very rarely be covered for theft by the tenant. Most insurers will however pay out if there have been signs of forced entry.

Is there other ways in which I can protect myself?

There are several insurance policies on the market which are specially designed for the Landlord. At Empire Estates we have close ties with Homelet who provide a comprehensive package designed to minimise the risks associated with letting property for Landlords. Please speak to one of our negotiators if you are interested.

Buildings Insurance

Covers the rebuilding of your property following loss or damage caused by fire, aircraft, malicious persons (including tenants), accidental damage to bathroom fixtures and fittings and glass, lightning, explosion, collision or impact, falling trees and earthquake, theft by forcible means, subsidence, heave, riot/civil commotion, storm, flood, escape of water or oil leakage – plus loss of rent and your re-letting costs.

Contents Insurance

Cover for all of your contents on a new for old basis, for loss of damage caused by fire, aircraft, smoke, malicious persons (including tenants), lightning, explosion, impact, theft (by forcible means), subsidence, heave, riot/civil commotion, storm, flood, escape of water or oil leakage, breakage of mirrors and glass in furniture, replacement of locks following theft of keys plus loss of rent and your re-letting costs.

Legal Expenses

You may be unable to collect the rent, your tenants may damage or remove your personal possessions or, indeed, make changes to the house and its decorations. You may even be unable to regain possession of your house. This policy covers your legal expenses in disputes with tenants or unauthorised occupants.

Rent Guarantee

Total peace of mind for Landlords. If the tenant fails to pay the rent, the insurers will pay the rent you would expect from the property until vacant possession is obtained.

Please contact our office regarding the comprehensive Insurance packages available. Remember Insurance is not compulsory but as a Landlord it is advisable to protect your liability.